11 Common causes of Constipation are quoted from Potter and Perry, 2005 are as follows:
1. Irregular bowel habit and ignore the urge to defecate can cause constipation.
2. Clients who consume a diet low in fiber (such as meat, dairy products, eggs) and refined carbohydrates (heavy dessert) often experience constipation problems, since it moves more slowly in the gastrointestinal tract. Low fluid intake also slows peristalsis.
3. Long bed rest or lack of regular exercise causes constipation.
4. Heavy use of laxatives, causing a loss of normal defecation reflex. In addition, the lower colon is emptied completely, take time to be filled again by the time the feces.
5. Tranquilizers, opiates, anticholinergics, iron (iron has the effect of shrinking and more job locally on the intestinal mucosa to cause constipation. Iron also has the effect of irritant and can cause diarrhea in some people), diuretics, calcium or aluminum antacids in , and antiparkinsonian medications can cause constipation.
6. Elderly peristaltic slowing, loss of elasticity of the abdominal muscles, and decrease the secretion of the intestinal mucosa. Elderly often consume a diet low in fiber.
7. Constipation can also be caused by abnormalities of the GI tract, such as intestinal obstruction, paralytic ileus, and diverticulitis.
8. Implus neurological condition that inhibits nerve to the colon (eg, spinal cord injury, tumors) can cause constipation.
9. Organic diseases, such as hypothyroidism, hypocalcemia, or hypokalemia can cause constipation.
There are also other causes from other sources, namely:
10. Increased psychological stress. Strong emotions are estimated to cause constipation by inhibiting intestinal peristalsis through the work of epinephrine and the sympathetic nervous system. Stress can also cause a spastic colon (spastic / hypertonic constipation or irritable colon). Associated with this type of constipation are abdominal cramps, increased mucus amount and period-exchange swap between diarrhea and constipation.
Getting weaker and weaker muscle tone spinkter that occurs in older people contributing cause constipation.